"Do you need to restructure
your business in order to
maximise its potential?"
"4 convenient office
locations - you come to
us or we come to you."
"Save time and money by
having one firm for all your
legal and accounting needs."
"We can help you on
the path to achieving
your business goals."
"Giving our clients the
best integrated legal and
Charities and Non-Profit Organisations
- Sales by charities are GST-free if they are below specified percentages of market value.
- Charities that operate retirement villages are not liable for GST on supplies of accommodation, accommodation-related services or meals
- Raffles and bingo conducted by charities are GST-free.
- The sale of most donated second-hand goods by a charity is GST-free.
- Membership fees are subject to GST.
- Certain fundraising events are input taxed.
- Gifts and donations are not subject to GST, even though donors receive “tokens”.
- Overseas aid delivered by an overseas body is not subject to GST.
- Religious services are GST-free.
- Religious practitioners carrying pastoral and related duties are not treated as carrying on an enterprise.
- Charities will be able to claim input tax credits if they reimburse expenses incurred by volunteers.
- If you buy something for your business and later donate it to a charity, that does not give rise to a GST adjustment.
- Charities may be entitled to use simplified methods of accounting where they have a mixture of taxable and GST-free sales.
- Charities can choose to adopt the cash basis of accounting irrespective of their turnover.
- Charities are entitled to the special rules allowing branches to be treated as independent entities for GST purposes.
- Non-profit bodies can take advantage of the GST grouping provisions and entities engaged in charitable activities can form GST joint ventures.
- A grant is treated like a gift, and is GST-free, unless it is made in return for services.
- Sponsorships would normally be subject to GST, as they are provided in return for advertising services.
- Non-profit school tuckshops can choose to be input taxed on the food they sell
- GST applies to the services of registered contractors, but not employees.
Our dedicated team can assist you with all your accounting and GST related matters. Complete and submit the Express Enquiry form on the top right hand side of this page and we will contact you to discuss your enquiry or call us on 1300 QUINNS (1300 784 667) or on +61 2 9223 9166 to arrange an appointment.
© The Quinn Group Australia Pty Ltd ABN 86 078 526 860
The Quinn Group operates Quinn Consultants, Quinn Lawyers, Quinn Financial Planning and Quinn Financial Solutions. The Quinn Group provides related information in regard to legal, accounting and financial planning issues. Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation* *other than for the acts or omissions of financial services licensees.